Oakmere Cricket Club was founded in 1954 by enthusiasts previously playing for the neighbouring villages of Sandiway and Delamere.
Ground & Facilities
The first black and white timber pavilion was purchased for £250 in 1956 and the Cricket Field purchased for £700 in 1959.
A brick pavilion was erected to replace the old black and white timber structure in 1978; in 1996 a new pitched “tiled” roof was provided with assistance from National Lottery and the Sports Council grants and in 2000 a new scorebox and machinery store were added, again with a “Sport For All” grant from the National Lottery.
With the aid of donations, ‘Sportsmatch’ funding and a grant from Vale Royal Council the scorebox was converted to an electronic system in 2011, and the machinery store converted into a committee room, being replaced by a new garage. The Oakmere Parish Council has since used the committee room for council meetings.
The new extension, completed before the start of the 2013 season, was made possible by a grant from the National Lottery ‘Inspired facilities Fund’. It provides; a new visitors changing room with its own showers, and an umpires’ room, able bodied & disabled Toilets. As part of the project the two existing changing rooms have been combined into one and the internal layout of the pavilion altered to allow larger functions to be held.
Friendly matches were played until 1969. However, despite playing only friendly matches, Oakmere were Mid Cheshire Knockout winners in 1967.
A 2nd X1 was organised from 1969 and the first cricket league matches were played in 1970 when Oakmere joined the Cheshire Cricket Association. In 1971 Oakmere 1st X1 were unbeaten throughout the season, completing a league and cup double.
In 1979 Oakmere joined the Cheshire Cricket League and were Division 2 champions in 1994 and 2nd XI Champions in 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001. In 2008 Oakmere were runners-up in Division 1 and were promoted to the Cheshire County League for the first time, however they were relegated the following season.
Sunday cricket on a “friendly” basis, has always been very successful at Oakmere but as with many clubs has suffered in recent years. To bridge the gap between Junior & Senior cricket the club entered a midweek XI in the Chester & District Midweek League in 2010 and this year will play in Division 4
Junior cricket matches have been organised since 1957. Oakmere were founder members of the Mid Cheshire Youth Cricket Association in 1961 and continue to participate in the league, being champions in 1963, 1971, 1972 and 2000.
Ladies cricket was first played in 1986 and Oakmere Ladies have played in the North Marches & Cheshire WCA League since 1989. They were league champions in 1990, 1991, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2014 , League Knockout winners in 1989 and 1990 and T20 Cup winners in 2012 and 2014.